1/30/23

POEM - Off-Key Rage

I once thought I knew you well,

but then I heard the hidden broadcast

of songless people crying their last

within your deepest layers

Your harmonies disguise the dissonance

of that maniac found within;

those auto-tuned insides

 

Somebody has to stop your progression;

and, since I’m the only one who knows what you are,

it seems the spotlight is awaiting us

Recognize that it was you who once assured me,

“Scream loud enough, and people

will mistake your pain for melodic art.”

Thus, I will use your breaking body

to be thought the master of my craft

 

The drumming in us both intensifies

as I strike you like a chord

This is how it feels to be on the receiving end

of a dedication which aims

to thieve your world of signals

This is the intrusive and unplanned

commotion you forced on others;

that tune playing beneath the headphones

which you couldn’t be bothered

to experience for yourself

 

My needle continues to cut you as you spin

Your blood pours down on both of us

like a hard rain spilling over fresh lava;

I watch it pool in your grooves,

and wonder how many singers will be saved

by the destruction of just this one—

perhaps the saddest song would sing

of such a necessity

 

My voice, however, is inaudible

as I await the final pitch of your ashes

And, I now believe it safe to say

that the saddest songs

go unsung for good reason

For, we are here to offer tomorrow

proof of yesterday,

and all you ever did was rob

the here and now of its hits

No comments:

Post a Comment