1/30/23

POEM - The Hook of Nowhere

I wanted to leave you a playlist behind

when I passed on;

its working title was nothing more

than the words ‘dead lover’

And, the deeper I dug myself into those

dark places beneath the blare,

the more I felt you were already listening

Toward the end, I even believed that you

might come to my rescue

 

With only a full day left before

our now-meaningless anniversary,

I purposely dulled my other senses

Nothing but the music fed me there in the dark

A mere 87 minutes is what our

retrospective amounted to,

and, hour after hour, I let myself imagine

how it might feel to go back in time;

to live us all over again

 

I wondered if, in this process of condensing

the length of our intertwined travels,

I’d somehow forgotten a magical moment or two

Perhaps you’d recollect, and ponder over

the broken impossibility of such an absence

 

Wholly unaware of the time, I fell asleep

in that repetition of tears I’d tired of living,

but the pieces never stopped performing

I dreamt of your sensual piano playing,

and awoke to Chopin’s ‘Ocean’ emptying

as though predicting the coming finality

of my ears being able to hear it

 

A few quick nicks amid the noise,

then the world started to fade

And, only as I began to disappear

did the grotesque chorus of truth

come screeching into my head

like broken glass in a car crash:

There’s so much that would be new to me

which I’ll never get to hear,

and you aren’t even interested in listening

to all that’s going to be left of me

No comments:

Post a Comment