3/22/23

POEM - Sun in Moon

“You never touch me like that.”

are words you can’t honestly utter

To Heaven and back,

with every Hell-fire flame

that’s aroused you, I’ve been

And if a nightmare ever dares

breathing nearby, it’s my dependable lullaby

which will return you to

that dreamless expanse

of restful dark

  

“The only thing I feel is empty.”

are words I’d engage like a home invader

You would be offered every emotion

humanity’s known, until one was found

which brought us back together

And under the light of a trillion dying stars,

you’d never sense complacency in me

as we were guiltlessly reborn,

night after night;

our lovemaking ghosts,

forever haunting each other

  

“I need more than this.”

are words you can speak without losing me

By all means, have your more;

have eternity’s all

But treat our home like the only warm place

on the planet to be found

once the sun goes down,

and I will prove that the sun still has

a thing or two left to learn

about going down

“You’re not easy to love.”

are words with which I can’t argue

You aren’t either, if the fair fuck of it

is to be had

So put on your big girl panties,

and try to appreciate that I don’t expect you

to always have them on;

that, in fact, I’m often the reason

they came off in the first place

Trust that I will slide them off of you again

in time;

leaving our talkative mouths to do

more constructive things than speak

And we will make it look easy,

because it routinely is

  

You and I are sometimes like

the most regrettable words

But I feel no remorse for what we are,

as there is so much more to our story

than any bit of cited prose could show

Our words could prove healing or ruinous

to strangers at any distance, I’ll admit

And yet, not a single reader will ever feel

the thunderous ripples we create

whenever our bodies come into contact

  

There is only imitation to be found

of the physical affects we share;

those which I can’t accurately convey

on the page

And no matter how much

wordy communication is seen to here,

the only people who can truly understand

are the two of us

So say what you will to rob me of my bliss,

but never discount the overwhelming

riches you return within our

entangled silences

No comments:

Post a Comment