5/23/20

Hopeless Oceans Q&A

Q: What's the first thing people should know about your debut novel?
A: Sounds off-topic, but if you're not on my mailing list, you're missing out! Those who are will be getting a bonus chapter for the novel in December. Just send your name and email address to wordfireprose@yahoo.com, and I'll take care of the rest.

Q: What's 'Hopeless Oceans' about?
A: The tough breaks haunting a neighborhood of poor teens during summer vacation. An exploration of human coping mechanisms, and what it means to own a limited supply of time in a society of tolerated cruelty and imbalance. 'Hopeless Oceans' will follow the lives of 24 kids who live in a fictitious trailer park known as Broadwater Village.

Q: What are the main characters' names?
A: Riot, Minnow, Bip, Nuke, Daola, Astrid, Bemmie, Cruz, Amerial, Sunder, Dub, Calf, Suri, Tous, Liz, Boomer, Sixly, Comfort, Poobus, Jai, Stasha, Fink, Odie, Rimble, Mena

Q: How can people get a feel for the book ahead of reading it?
A: I've got a 'Hopeless Oceans' playlist up on Spotify. Every time I finish a scene, I find a song to fit, and add it to the playlist. Listening to the playlist in order should give a pretty good idea of the emotional rollercoaster I'm preparing to take readers on. There's also a video playlist on my Youtube channel, if you want a visual representation.

Q: When is the novel being released?
A: 09/07/20. The eBook is already available for pre-order (at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089Y9GN5L). With the COVID-19 pandemic in full swing, ordering the eBook is a great way to ensure you have access to the novel on day one.

Q: What made you want to write this book?
A: I've been toying with ideas for the novel most of my adult life. I ultimately decided to write about a handful of things which are extremely important to me; like suicide, purpose, and disparity. I also wanted to know most everyone could feel represented by the book, while retaining the sensation that reading 'Hopeless Oceans' would be akin to visiting old friends.

Q: Is this book part of a series?
A: Yes. My current plan is to author multiple books in the 'Broadwater' series. But, for the most part, 'Hopeless Oceans' could act as a standalone work if need be. I'm interested in being a novelist who never writes a book that takes place in a universe which differs from my other works, even when the characters change.

Q: Will this book be aimed at a younger audience?
A: Absolutely not. My content has a tendency to be explicit. You also shouldn't read this book if abuse (etc.) is a negative trigger for your mental health.

Q: What do you hope people take away from 'Hopeless Oceans'?
A: The notion that running from our problems is no way to live (or die). More compassion, and stronger critical thinking skills. Renewed wonder. Appreciation for every breath that's left to us.

Q: How long is the book?
A: Just over 151,000 words, and 488 pages. This is not a poetry collection, or anything typical of self-published work. This thing is professionally edited and typeset; offering the look and cohesion you'd expect when buying a novel from a major bookstore.

Q: What sets this book apart from other novels?
A: I wanted the book to feel like prose, even though it's a genuine narrative. It blends a plethora of genres. It's accessible, while also being a think-piece. It pulls no punches. And, it definitely has surprises in store.

Q: How much will the book cost to buy?
A: The eBook is $8.99, and the paperback is $14.99.

Q: When can we expect the release of Book 2 in the 'Broadwater' series?
A: Unless my life changes drastically, or the first book is a failure, I plan to release Book 2 before the end of 2021.

Q: What can fans do to help make your debut successful?
A: The simple answer is to keep talking about the book. Virality still depends mostly on word-of-mouth. So, if you're talking about my work, you're helping it be successful. The more sales I see at launch, the better. But, there are plenty of free ways to help. It really does only take a few people caring about an artist's work to help it be successful.

Q: Are you writing about yourself/people you know personally?
A: Yes and no. I think every writer will incorporate some of their own experiences into their writing. And, I've certainly done that here. Even the location is meant to closely mirror the place where I did most of my growing up. That having been said: These characters aren't real people. I'd never write a carbon copy of anyone I know in a fictional title; not even of myself.

Q: How is this book meant to be read?
A: I recommend hearing the song that goes with each chapter after finishing a chapter.

Q: Is there anything else you want people to know?
A: If the novel reaches #1 in any category on Amazon / gets at least 10 Amazon reviews, I'll be sending the bonus chapter to everyone early. The song for this extra chapter is already on the Hopeless Oceans playlist, by the way. So if you're itching to read that last piece of the puzzle, make sure you buy copies, leave honest reviews, and let your crowd know that this exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment