1/30/23

POEM - A Light at the Opera

She used to let me watch our future

play out, one ballad at a time

In the soundtrack of my life,

she’s all I ever leave on repeat

 

I remember not seeing my favorite band

play my favorite number

because she wanted to make love

in the parking lot instead

And, the truth is that I think

it was everyone in the stadium

who missed the superior show

To hear them while feeling her;

there really are no words for describing it

 

I clearly recall the shimmering clang

of her bedroom mix echoing off the walls

in that lonely, indoor pool we used to frequent

for a far sight more than night-swimming

She kept the volume so loud

that we could make out the vocals

with our heads under water

Our bodies would sway in slow motion

as one beneath the surface,

in spite of that sharp increase

in the speed of those splashes

dancing around us

 

She used to play my recordings

as she played with herself;

I once got to watch with a guitar in hand

We were an unforgettable spin,

to say the very least,

but only the best records know when to end

And, who among us is bold enough to say

that there’s no room for she and I

in another crowded theater;

in yet another Top 100?

 

Maybe someday we’ll give

love’s stereo another go

No comments:

Post a Comment