1/31/23

POEM - The Unplayed Piano

“I am wasted passion.”

She talked for years after saying that to me on one of those youthful nights

I have a growing tendency to fear it’s the last thing she ever said which came from her heart

It felt like her final cry for help, but I didn’t know how to help her

She was with another person

Our friendship was frowned upon


She seemed to want me to ruin the prior best of what she’d been building

And I didn’t know what it said about me that I wanted her undesired self to be ruined;

that my greatest longing in life was to destroy the beautiful mundane she’d made herself a captive of well before I came along

So I committed myself to the hard (and weak) work of doing nothing

She hung herself on the clock of indifferent ignorance as a result

And her unimpeded death was so much closer than I’d have ever believed

Even now, acceptance of her demise is a daily dance with desperation which I’d rather just deny the reality of


There are so, so many pulses on the face of this cooling sphere of an ember

Yet I plainly know that my pulse is completely alone without her

And this heart may as well be too broken to beat

For now I too am nothing but wasted passion


I do but offer mistimed melodies to the unspent love I survive on

And death plays them back to me on an instrument of silence

No comments:

Post a Comment