4/10/23

POEM - A Doubter's Reservations

If there were 36 things to know

about me, and you only knew 35,

how well could you claim to know

who I am?

  

If 72 thoughts crossed my mind each day,

and roughly half of them involved you,

how important would that make

you to my heart?

  

If human language contained

a mere 81 words, yet you and I got by

with no more than 18 of them,

how envious should we be

of those who require more than

the societally-agreed-upon total?

  

If but 54-septillion stars were believed

to exist in this universe we share,

how much would it then matter that I

still cannot afford to fly you

to any of the nearest 3?

If you had taken more than 6 lovers

to bed, and I had taken not

a single multiple of 9 into mine,

how likely do you think it

would continue to prove,

this bliss between us?

  

If you had a question for once,

and I was not the unknown answer,

how long do you suppose I would go on

looking for our mismatched solution?

  

Does every inquiry facilitate

applicable value?

  

Can it ever just be enough

that I love you much the same

as you love me?

  

What happens when I let go

of every explanation,

save yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment