4/7/23

POEM - Toujours, Artois

The wonderfully naive thing

about our younger selves

is how we honestly believed

we might live to be the oldest humans

this world has ever seen;

back when we weren’t yet

beaten down by the rigors

of a society hamstrung by that idiocy

of never chasing more

than a larger dollar bill

Advancement, we suspected,

was going to be cures for everything,

less work (thanks to the robots),

and free energy for our eternity

Instead, the American political theater

edges ever closer to being a sport

A few greedy pricks go unchecked

as they find new ways to squeeze us

And we stress about the cost of fossil fuels

while on our way to the eventuality

of medical bankruptcy


Yes, I still think very fondly

of those grown children we used to be;

you with your online conversions,

and me with my Socratic questioning

Making love to you once left me feeling

like I was someone worth being;

someone who’d remain overjoyed

to live forever

Making love to you now reminds me

that there are only a few safe spaces

left for me in this world

And such locales won’t always be safe

You and I are destined to lose

in the grand scheme of this thing

Whether I lose you, or you lose me,

doesn’t change that one

is going to happen; maybe both

So I’m trying to give reality less weight

Hell of a thing to find myself saying

But you’ve been a smile amid

the majority of my sorrows

And I’d prefer to now protect

whatever number of smirks you have left


So please don’t limit

your frustrated tears

at day’s end

For I am never going

to stop reminding you

that we may yet live longer

than anyone ever has;

though it might only be

in the form of words

on these pages

And even on the day

in which time inevitably

forgets us,

I will have gladly died

the same as I lived:

loving you

No comments:

Post a Comment