4/17/24

POEM - Holler Honey

Circumstance is all that separates

the hydrated animals within us both

They’re starving, true, but aren’t

in any danger of desiccation

Nonetheless, at the bottom of an empty well,

mutual temptation waits

  

I’ve not been shy, even in your presence,

about the way your blooming garden

draws so much more than my eyes

Our fingers brush, seemingly by accident,

and I am made shockingly aware

of just how often you’ve been left alone

to toil in that fertile soil

No fate is worse than death

so long as your body still speaks

its ballroom language

Can you imagine (of course you can)

how resuscitated sensuality would feel

if I simply asked you to dance?

  

You look at me like I could someday become

the only dollar you’ve left to your name;

the only door which would open like home

And I long to dare you do the unthinkable;

to step inside, right now, and see

just how far you can stretch my true value

  

You are the days leading up to Christmas

which assume they’re undesirably cloudy weather

You want to believe I’m writing this for you,

but your insecurity won’t allow it

You remember passion and beauty

filling out that mirrored reflection,

unaware that’s still the woman I see

before me

  

I’ve been accused of having a fondness

for the most forbidden of fruit

The masses would dismiss any magnetism

between us as nothing more than a crush

But I have held you in so many dreams

that my adulting ass is somehow well-rested

  

So let us discard

the shallowness of circumstance

as though it were lovers’ clothes

And when we too are lovers,

I swear that you’ll never

know hunger again

No comments:

Post a Comment