8/29/23

POEM - Waking Ugly

I would that my last word was your name,

for all the music left in me is about us

Surely, we were part of some other timeline;

not this one, where I watch kids grow

without you

  

Your kiss is something I once imagined;

now all that’s left to me is imagining it

The memory of it grows but further

from the reality, I’m aware,

though I take such great pains

to prevent that happening

  

And for what?

To hold a pillow in place of you?

To swallow the past like medicine?

To hold my breath in the half-light

of this half-life?

What good does that do anyone?

  

Sleep, my sweet, wherever you are

Please dream that I might wake you

And if ever I get that improbable chance,

I’ll afford you more than an ending

  

I’ll restore what time has taken from us;

every word leading up to the last

No comments:

Post a Comment