2/29/24

POEM - Inculcation

In a world where

not everyone dies young,

I plainly see that you might not

be so lucky

  

In a world where many

get away with untold taking,

it often seems like all you give

will go largely unnoticed

  

In a world where passions

routinely collide out in the open,

I fear yours go untouched;

even behind closed doors

  

In a world where it’s impossible

to know the full extent

of what anyone else is thinking,

would that my eyes betray

as much of their secrecy as yours

  

In a world where everyone wastes

a degree of themselves on bottled pain,

I long to help you cry less,

and never alone

  

In a world where gratitude

is so rarely considered,

my head has been flooded for years

with the joy of knowing you at all

  

In a world where small things

are thought to remain small,

you are a half dollar which

makes me richer by the hour

  

In a world where beauty,

we’re told, will fade,

it’s the ghost in you

I’m most attracted to

  

And in a world where

momentarily-happy endings abound,

I believe we’ll find

there is room for one more

No comments:

Post a Comment